Safety and Burn Times
At Colonial Candle we want you to experience the maximum enjoyment and pleasure from our candles. We take great pride in using only the finest quality ingredients and materials. Please follow these guidelines to keep Colonial Candle® a bright and beautiful part of your life.
- Remove all packaging before lighting.
- Always place candles on a flat, level, heat resistant surface away from drafts and combustibles.
- Keep out of reach of children and pets.
- Use appropriate holders designed for the particular candle style.
- Keep wick(s) trimmed to 1/4” at all times.
- If smoking occurs, use a candle snuffer to extinguish the flame, trim wicks, remove trimmings, then relight.
- Keep the wick centered. It will help your candles burn evenly and protect the sides of your holder, which could be damaged by close contact with the flame.
- Never extinguish a candle by blowing, as it may cause splashing and wax spills. Always use a Colonial Candle® candle snuffer or Colonial Candle wick dipper.
- Never leave burning candles unattended.
- Never move candles when lit.
- In an emergency, never try to extinguish flame with water, use baking soda to extinguish the flame.
- Store candles in a cool, dry place to avoid color fading, melting or cracking. Keep candles out of direct sunlight to prevent fading and warping.
- Over time, candles may become scratched or seem to lose their fragrance. Rub gently with a fine mesh stocking to heighten the gloss, remove any scratches and release the fragrance from your candles.
- For helpful cleaning and wax removal hints, please refer to the Cleaning and Wax Removal Tips.
Scented Glass Jar Candles
- Handle with care. Avoid glass-to-glass contact and do not use if the jar is cracked, chipped or scratched. Do not refill with wax.
- Never allow the wick's flame to touch the jar, as it can cause breakage and become hot to the touch. Handle with care.
- If the wick 'falls' or is off-center extinguish the flame, and then use a bent paper clip to re-center the wick, then relight.
- If smoking occurs, check for drafts or high traffic areas, which may cause the flame to flicker and smoke. Be sure to trim the wicks prior to lighting to ¼".
- To minimize wax left on the sides of the jar, follow the burn time suggested for your specific candle.
- To prevent possible heat damage to the counter/surface discontinue use when 1/2" of wax remains.
Unscented Virtually Dripless Taper Dinner Candles
- Our tapers are unscented, with the exception of the Bayberry taper sets, to ensure the ultimate dining experience without the threat of a fragrance overpowering your cuisine.
- Our tapers are ‘Drip Resistant’ which means they will burn beautifully if kept out of drafts and away from excessive heat sources
- We offer two styles of taper dinner candles: Handipt® and Classics.
- Be sure tapers are straight, and set firmly in the taper candle holders.
- Always use wax buttons to help ensure taper safety.
Scented or Unscented Tealight Candles
Scented and Unscented Long-Burning Votive Candles
Votives will liquefy and must be used in an appropriate votive candle holder.